Friday, February 24, 2012

Scorpio Races



Some race to win.

Others race to survive.


It happens the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of thier water horses long enough to make it to the finish line.


Some riders live.

Others die.


At age nineteen, Sean Kenderick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.


Puck Connelly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn't given her much of a choice. So she enters the competition - the first girl to ever do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.


As I was starting this book I thought it was slow and akward, but I had so many friends who really liked it I didn't want to stop. Plus I really love Stiefvaters Shiver series...so I knew there was a good chance it would get better...boy was I right!


The characters in this book are amazing! Puck it the kind of girl I would love to be! Unafraid to stand up for what she believes in and so very brave! I can't imagine standing up for myself in the many ways that Puck did in this book. Not only that but she never gives up! When everyone told her to quit the race and what not...she stood her ground!


Sean is also an amazing character...who is hard to figure out! You know he has one love...Corr his water horse...but at first that is about all you can tell about him. I loved watching him change and finally give voice to his feelings for Puck! He was one of those "good guy" characters that even when/if he did something wrong, you wouldn't mind.


The romance in this story is slow and sweet, and it honestly made me physically ache! I waited and waited for that sweet kiss...and dang it took a long time, but it was so worth it! The relationship between Puck and Sean is so tender and based more on feelings of the heart than on looks. Puck's relationship with her brothers was another relationship I really enjoyed. There was lots of sibling rivalry, but lots of love as well!


I was really surprised by this book. I wasn't sure what to expect, but with the lore of kelpies, and other water horse type things I was enamored! This is a most definite must read!


I gave this book 4 apples!

No comments:

Post a Comment