Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Gathering

I have been waiting with bated breath to read this book! I loved Kelley's Darkest Powers series and couldn't wait to read her latest work (if you haven't read her Darkest Powers series...it is a MUST READ!!)!

Maya is a 17 year old girl living on an island outside of Vancover Canada. She doesn't know much about her background--the only thing she has to go by is the paw print birthmark she has. She never gave much thought to who her parents were and how she ended up with her adopted parents...until now!

Strange things are happening in her small town of Salmon Creek. Between the mountian lions who keep approaching Maya, to the strange deaths, and then to the new boy who makes her feel...different. Something big is happening and no one knows what it is.

I LOVED this book! I couldn't put it down...literally it only took me a few hours to read it! One thing I love about Kelley Armstrong is her story telling ability. Some may argue that she is not a good writer...I disagree! She can write a story that engages you right from the start! Not only that, but her characters are well developed, and strong! I love Maya...she is a girl who isn't afraid to speak her mind...even if it means embarrassing those around her. Rafe comes off as a bad boy, but deep down he is vulnerable and loving...and there is just something about him that I really love! Daniel is Maya's best friend...and I think he has the hots for her. I like him...I just think he is too "perfect"...I want there to be something small wrong with him (I know I am crazy)!

Even though there is paranormal things in this book it is not overpowering! It is almost like it's not part of the story really. The bigger part of the story is the mystery's to be solved. After reading LOTS of paranormal books...it's actually quite a refreshing change!

There were only a few things that bugged me...one...her parents were never really "parental"! Who willingly lets their barely 16 year old daughter get a tatoo? Not really a big issue...just something that bugged me! I have a love/hate relationship with cliffhangers and this book has a doozy! I was frusterated when I turned the last page, and not one question had been answered! That is something she is really good at as well!

There was lots of foreshadowing and teasers in this book! As with the Darkest Powers series...you start off with so many questions, only to finish with 100 more! I think she does that to guarentee that we will keep reading the series...kidding...but not really!

I really loved this book! Like I said I read it in a few hours...and then have decided to re-read it! There is nothing better than getting caught up in a really good book...and this is one of those books!


I gave this book 5 apples!

No comments:

Post a Comment